Friday, June 5

Wednesday - Time to Say Goodbye

The household was a buzz when I arose this morning.  All of the adults were dressed, packed suitcases lined the hallway, and the last minute walkthrough was underway.  Daddy and I were playing around until Poppa called him to help make one last trash run to the dumpster down the road. Nobody wanted the stinky trash in the car when we headed for town.  We had a seven passenger Explorer that has worked well all week.  There were no problems fitting our towels, cooler, and snorkeling gear up to this point, but there was no way that all us and all those suitcases were going to fit.  When we arrived, the nice lady from Catered To had hauled a few of our things and groceries to the villa.   I also remembered Daddy did not arrive with us.   We crammed into the blue beast and things were tight, but we all made it in one trip up Gifft Hill.   That was not going to be the case this morning.

The hands of the clock showed a few minutes after nine when the first run to Cruz Bay occurred.   Everyone but Daddy buckled in for the ride.  The suitcases and Daddy would be in the second run, with a stop for gas before the Explorer was returned.  Poppa dropped us in the park by the ferry dock and returned to Hummingbird Hill.  We walked around town doing a little more shopping and people watching.  When Poppa returned we scrambled getting all the suitcases unloaded and doing the rental car return.



The Piper Car Rental agent met us right there in the park and after a quick inspection our group was now on foot.  The blue beast had served us well and I waved as it drove away.

As predicted on Mother’s Day, we headed to Cruz Bay Landing for another brunch.  The place was jumping for a Wednesday morning, and this morning an outside table was a must.  We had to chill for a while until a two tables opened.  Me, I just ran around the park chasing the puppies.  The smiling waitress came almost immediately and asked if she could get anybody a drink.  Deep down inside I knew that poor Mary woman had to be almost out of blood, but sure enough Poppa, YaYa, and Aunt Bridget got that nasty looking drink again.   Oh well, we will be leaving soon and Mary should be safe again.   

It did not take long for the food to arrive and sure enough it was a feast.  It would hold us until dinner in Charlotte which was hours away.  Of course there were some  pretty good snacks in between.   I thought it was time I step up to the plate with the check.  However after examining the bill carefully there were no numbers so I figured the nice waitress just let us slide.  I was ready to move on, it was time to go!


We left Cruz Bay Landing pulling our luggage behind us and dodging all the chickens running around the park. (I  knew they were not puppies... not enough legs)  The walk to the ferry dock is very short, but with every step I knew our departure was near. 

With our tickets bought, we settled into the ferry station waiting area.  The windows truly framed how beautiful our week had been.  The water, the sand, and fun that I enjoyed this week is framed by the window.  It wasn’t until everyone was settled that I realized we had a bunch of stuff.  


It seemed like we had just gotten comfortable when it was time to start hauling our stuff to the ferry.  The top deck was a must for the trip home.  It afforded me one last view as we pulled out and headed to St Thomas.



The trip is very short and so much fun.  Daddy was a little freaked that I would do something stupid and fall over, but since he did not make the first transit he was unaware that I was experienced ferry traveler and needed some space.  We found a happy middle ground as the ferry engines roared to begin the crossing.  (aka Momma's Lap)


Sitting on the top deck, I now know why puppies like to stick their noses out the window of a car.  The wind and sun felt so good. 


As we pulled into St Thomas, Daddy showed me where he used to live many years ago before Momma and me.  Great location, but they looked pretty small.


It was déjà vu backwards.  Next was a taxi ride over the hills again on our way to the airport.  My eyes were getting heavy, but I tried to hold on.  When we arrived a week earlier on the plane, they announced that we should be at the airport three hours early.  Poppa was taking flack from everyone about being there too early, but there was no one in line at the check in.  We were two hours and forty-five minutes early and the group was rumbling.  It still took us forty-five minutes to get from the check in desk to our seats in the lobby with no line.  I am with Poppa, early is better when it comes to this airport.  

Uncle Brandon and Aunt Bridget were leaving before us to go home, and when it was time for them to go Poppa and I watched out the window as their plane finished loading.


Then it was our turn.  I was so happy that Daddy carried me up the steps.  These steps are much harder than the ones at Annaberg Plantation.  We all settled in but were separated for the long leg to Charlotte.  I snuggled into my car seat thankful that even though I was under two I had my own seat and it was a window seat!  With a rumble and roar it was down the runway and off into the air.  Peeking out the window the blue water and St Thomas disappeared from view.


I tried to read for awhile, but my eyes got heavy and I started to drift away again.  My dreams took me to the all the places I had enjoyed during the week.  My nap seemed to make the flight to Charlotte short, but we still had another layover, and by now it was dark outside. 

Dinner at the airport was ok, but I was ready for my own bed.  The North Carolina to Virginia leg was short, but our arrival was close to midnight.  We loaded into a taxi for short ride to my house and Poppa, YaYa, Daddy, Momma, and I were asleep in seconds.  My trip had come to an end, but there were so many new experiences and memories that will stay with me forever.  I am so happy Momma and Daddy allowed me to go to Josh and Lauren’s plunge event. 

I want to leave a hint to other big people; St John is definitely a place that small children can have fun - so take them!

2 comments: